Prerequisites/ Course Contents/ Obligation
- Be certified as an APPI Assistant Instructor for minimum one year, or with another paragliding training organization.
- Have a good medical record, (stated on the health form) and be in a state of health which is fit for paragliding as a profession.
- Have Completed a minimum 60 day training course, in at least three different schools, 20 days in each school. Composed of 15 days assistance from Open Sky to APPI Solo Pilot, and 5 days activity chosen by the instructor.
- Be approved on theoretical, Practical and Audition Exams.
Practical: to give one day course to real students, having two Instructors as a jury;
Theoretical: To give one day course, having two Instructors as a jury and to expose knowledge and experience over one subject, by the jury;
Audition: to explain motivation and to critic the presentation course.
- Present logbook documented and signed by 3 instructors, from minimum 2 different schools.
- Submit documentation of first aid training (Red Cross or other rescue organization equivalence).
- Be certified as an APPI Rescue Pilot Provider or have a qualifying certification from another training organization.
- Submit documentation of any qualifying certifications by another recreational paragliding training organization.
- If not an APPI Assistant Instructor, successfully complete the APPI Assistant Instructor course rescue assessment.
Training and Certification
APPI Instructor Development has two phases – a training phase and an evaluation phase. Instructor candidates who have successfully completed the training Program ONLY may enrol in the theoretical exams. The exams must have minimum one Master Instructor and one APPI Instructor to validate the certification (usually during an APPI workshop). Instructor candidates must satisfactorily complete all course performance requirements to be certified as APPI Instructors.
To apply for certification, the certifying Course Director submit online a completed, signed Instructor Application to APPI website, along with the required photo, application fee, and other qualifying certification documentation (if applicable). Upon approval of the application, APPI will issue an APPI Instructor Card.
You must supply to your student (if he does not already own) a logbook that will allow him to record all flights. The APPI Solo Pilot logbook and APPI Instructor logbook are free to download for all APPI instructors on its website.
Renewed APPI Instructor Pilots who are in Affiliated status are authorized to:
- Supervise both training and non-training related activities by planning, organizing and flights supervision.
- Assist APPI Master Instructors during formations and courses for any APPI certification.
- Independently teach APPI Paragliding courses students for: Open Sky, Adventure and APPI Solo Pilot
- Teach Advanced Pilot course together with another APPI instructor (requirement for validation).
- Accompany Specialty students, when qualified.
To renew annually, an APPI Instructor submits online a Membership Agreement with payment of membership fees. Instructors who have let their membership lapse will need to fulfill additional requirements designated by the APPI Training and Quality Management Department before regaining Teaching status.
- Assistant Instructor certification requirements
- APPI Instructor Logbook
- APPI Instructor Examination
- APPI Piloting Progression
- Training organization