These seminars are intended for tandem pilots and instructors who are already working as professionals - whether they have a certification from another education system or not - and want to have their skills recognized in the APPI system.
They are also designed for APPI certified professionals that want to update and refresh their knowledge.
Pro-workshops are also open to individual pilots that want to get the latest knowledge about gear ageing, flight mechanics and piloting, performance flying, weather forecasting and safety. Individual pilots attending for knowledge improvement only purposes do not need to take the exam and no certification is issued.
A) To register for a Pro-workshop in order to get an APPI professional qualification you must provide:
- A first aid certificate.
- Proof of advanced SIV certified by an APPI SIV master or video showing the following mandatory maneuvers:
- pitch control on dynamic spiral exit,
- side collapse, autorotation and recovery,
- stall, backfly, recovery,
- spin min 180° + recovery,
- deep spiral damped exit.
If the master in charge has any doubt about practical skills, he might ask for a solo demo flight prior to any tandem flight.
- Solo tasks include:
- clean take off with safety check,
- 2x360 exit on axis in less than 15 sec glider stabilized,
- pitch and pitch control,
- landing with 4 sec minimum straight final in a 15m diameter target.
1. If You are tandem pilot
- To qualify for APPI non commercial tandem pilot, you should provide proof of a minimum of:
- 2 years paragliding activity,
- 40 tandem flights as pilot.
- To qualify for APPI pro tandem pilot, you should provide proof of a minimum of:
- 3 years experience paragliding activity,
- one year tandem operating,
- 150 tandem flights as pilot.
Upon the result of the exam, if not failed, the master instructor in charge may validate non commercial tandem pilot status as either “pending” or “validated”, or APPI pro tandem pilot.
2. If you are paragliding instructor
And you want to have your skills recognized in the APPI system you should attend a 10-12 days Pro-workshop and take its exams. The first part of the workshop is common with the tandem workshop described above, the second part is fully focused on pedagogy applied to paragliding teaching, and guiding safety procedures and techniques.
- To qualify for APPI instructor, you should provide proof of a minimum of:
- 4 years paragliding activity,
- 40 tandem flights as pilot,
- 15 students taught from first flights to first autonomy (IPPI 3).
- Each Pro-workshop concludes with a highest possible certification of APPI Assistant instructor if the following key points are validated:
- trim control,
- APPI system,
- at least non commercial tandem qualification,
- pedagogical session,
- student guiding,
- theory grade must be above or equal to 3/5.
- If any qualifications are not validated, the master in charge will give to the student a clear road-map of what they need to do to improve. Standard procedure is that the student should re-take the exams at a forthcoming pro workshop, attend the full workshop is not mandatory.
B) If the above listed key points are validated with tandem operation showing perfect procedures, student guiding being solid and professional, and a theory grade equal to 4/5 or above, then the student is eligible for the final Instructor exam.
Instructor validation is obtained thru a check with a master after the end of the workshop. During this check, the student has to:
show they handles perfectly the APPI website, documents and student registration….
show they masters APPI pedagogical tools,
give theoretical course to students,
give practical course on the field prepared with the APPI session tool,
show good safety management.
If the practical course does not involve flight, they will also guide at least one student at take off, in flight and in approach and landing.
C) Instructors with Swiss or French tandem or instructor certification
Please contact the secretary for simplified procedure.
D) APPI pro-workshops are conducted by APPI masters with the agreement of the APPI pedagogical committee
They might be assisted by APPI instructors.
E) In cases where the pro-workshop issues the following certification
- Tandem pro, assistant instructor and instructor -
At least one of the Masters involved in the certification must be from a foreign country, with no commercial interest in the country the workshop is given (avoidance of conflicts of interest).
F) Participation in the Pro workshop
Leads to a certification that will be dated, added to the pilot’s APPI profile, and will certify that the tandem pilot or APPI instructor updated his knowledge.
APPI does not make any profit on the workshops, the price is fixed freely by the masters who organize it. We strive to keep a low cost to enable everyone to participate.
List of the forthcoming pro-workshops and pro-courses:
- 54 - Colombia, Jericó, From 22 Apr 2019 until 01 May 2019
- 52 - United Arab Emirates, Al Fayah, Dubai/Sharjah, From 05 Mar 2019 until 06 Mar 2019
- 51 - Colombia, Apia, From 04 Feb 2019 until 28 Feb 2019
- 42 - Kosovo, Prizeren, From 21 Apr 2018 until 30 Apr 2018 i
- 40 - Bulgaria, sopot, From 20 Oct 2017 until 27 Oct 2017
- 39 - Spain, Ager, From 16 Oct 2017 until 28 Oct 2017 i
- 28 - United States, Salt Lake City, Utah, From 01 Apr 2017 until 10 Apr 2017 i
- 30 - Greece, Paleos Panteleimonas, Mount Olympus, From 01 Apr 2017 until 10 Apr 2017 i
- 31 - Colombia, Jerico, Antioquia, From 02 Mar 2017 until 11 Mar 2017 i
- 26 - Mexico, Valle de Bravo, México, From 24 Oct 2016 until 02 Nov 2016 i
- 27 - Iran, Teheran, From 13 Oct 2016 until 23 Oct 2016 i
- 23 - Dominican Republic, Jarabacoa, From 01 Jun 2016 until 09 Jun 2016 i
- 13 - United States, Salt Lake City, From 21 May 2016 until 30 May 2016 i
- 18 - Russia, Verhniy Chegem, North Caucasus area, From 01 May 2016 until 10 May 2016
- 19 - Greece, Sikaminea, Mount Olympus area, From 03 Apr 2016 until 12 Apr 2016
- 20 - India, Kamshet, From 28 Mar 2016 until 04 Apr 2016 i
- 12 - Argentina, El Boson, Patagonia, From 04 Dec 2015 until 12 Dec 2015 i
- 14 - Turkey, Oludeniz, From 16 Oct 2015 until 22 Oct 2015 i
- 11 - Bulgaria, Sopot, From 15 Sep 2015 until 30 Sep 2015
- 10 - Greece, Sikaminea, Mount Olympus area, From 06 Jun 2015 until 12 Jun 2015 i
- 7 - Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo, From 05 May 2015 until 11 May 2015
- 5 - Colombia, Medellin, From 09 Mar 2015 until 16 Mar 2015 i
- 6 - Philippines, Mindanao, Sarangani Bay, Safi ranch, From 06 Mar 2015 until 08 Mar 2015 i
- 9 - Colombia, Roldanillo, From 01 Dec 2014 until 10 Dec 2014 i
- 4 - China, Hangzhou, From 30 Aug 2014 until 04 Sep 2014 i
- 2 - Montenegro, Herceg Novi, From 07 Apr 2014 until 14 Apr 2014 i
- 8 - Colombia, Cocorna, From 01 Mar 2014 until 10 Mar 2014
- 1 - Ecuador, Ibarra, From 09 Dec 2013 until 21 Dec 2013 i
- 53 - Macedonia, Krushevo, From 17 May 2019 until 26 May 2019
- 55 - India, Kamshet, Maharashtra, From 06 May 2019 until 15 May 2019
- 50 - Greece, Mount Olympus Olympic Wings Neos Panteleimonas 60065 Pieria, From 30 Mar 2019 until 06 Apr 2019
- 49 - Mexico, Valle de Bravo, From 22 Nov 2018 until 28 Nov 2018
- 47 - France, Rotherens 73110, From 25 Jun 2018 until 02 Jul 2018
- 43 - Argentina, El Bolson, patagonia, From 12 Feb 2018 until 16 Feb 2018
- 38 - Greece, N.Panteleimonas ,60065 Pieria Olympus, From 19 Nov 2017 until 28 Nov 2017 i
More workshops planned:
April 2019 Colombia