1) Various APPI infos
- Its now official, the ministry of tourism in Ecuador has decided to use APPI as the certification system for Pro Levels.
This is a major achievement for APPI.
Edgar Soria, our APPI representative in Ecuador declared:
Es muy grato informarte que el acuerdo ministerial que incluye al Sistema Educativo APPI como certificador de pilotos tandem comerciales en Ecuador ya es Ley de la República.
- Registering your identification documents is required only if you want to buy APPI insurance later.
- New APPI IBAN: CH05 8057 2000 0173 7132 2 for those who wish to pay their APPI subscription by bank transfer. The APP heading and the bank’s name remain the same.
2) APPI Pro-workshop USA may 2016
This workshop allowed instructors from USA and also Jamaica, Hong Kong, Philippines and Mexico to refresh their knowledges with up-to-date information about gear aging, flight mechanics, piloting, weather forecasting, procedures and teaching.
It was superbly organized by Dale Covington, who even managed to get the best weather we could ever dream of for a workshop: unflyable for the classroom days and perfect flying conditions for the field training and evaluations.
The mythical Point of the Mountain flying site was the perfect theater for those flying days with incredible scenery.
Local pilots attended the first days of the workshop, instructors followed and at the end 2 masters, 3 instructors, 3 assistant instructors and 1 tandem pilot got APPI pro workshop certification.
Special thanks to USHPA safety and Training Committee chairman Greg Kelley with whom exchanges were particularly friendly and constructive.
3) First APPI pro workshop in Republica Dominicana June 2016
The first APPI pro workshop in Republica Dominicana was held June 1-10 in Jarabacoa with the help of the school ’Vuelo Libre Dominicano’.
Besides dominican pilots, tandem pilots and instructors, we had the pleasure to welcome tandem pilots and instructors from Peru and Trinidad y Tobago. This was a very intensive workshop with up-to-date information about gear aging, flight mechanics, piloting, weather forecasting, stress and risk management, tandem procedures and teaching.
It was held in Rancho Baiguate, a beautiful natural place located close to Jarabacoa, which is also a center for nature activities.
Once again we got the best weather we could ever dream of for a workshop: unflyable for the classroom days and perfect flying conditions for the field training and evaluations.
Practical evaluations took place in two different flying sites, allowing to evaluate the pilots in very different conditions.
2 instructors, 2 assistant instructors, 5 profesional tandem pilots and 4 tandem pilots got APPI pro workshop certification.
Special thanks to Felix Adames from IDAC, the Dominican Republic Civil Aviation Agency that came to the workshop and showed support to the paragliding activity.
Many thanks also to Omar Rodriguez of Rancho Baiguate for his hospitality in his wonderful place.
4) XC Seminar with Bruce Goldsmith June 2016
Organised by Master Instructor Stelios Makrovasillis of Olympic Wings at Mt.Olympus, Greece. The XC Seminar had three APPI Master Instructors, Bruce Goldsmith, Stelios Makrovasillis, Avi Malik and over 20 XC pilots from around the world.
Bruce was extremely generous in sharing his knowledge and helping pilots understand the complex weather that surrounds Mt.Olympus with sea breeze on one side and flatlands on the other forming convergence zones that need a keen eye and knowledge to understand and navigate.
Bruce also gave a very informative presentation on the latest developments in para glider design and manufacturing. He was superbly supported by the Olympus guru Stelios who, with his clarity and experience of the local conditions, chose the sites best suited to make the most of the day’s flying.
Stelios and Claudia were great hosts and the logistic arrangements were impeccable for the XC pilots. The days would end up with debriefing sessions to discuss the day’s flying. It was an enriching and enjoyable experience for most pilot participants with a lot of learnings and wonderful memories to take home.
5) Some upcoming paragliding events and courses
- VI Paramotor Concentracion, Islas del Mediterraneo, 13-17 July 2016 at Menorca, Mallorca, Ibiza y Formentera.
More information here.
- Brazilian first Paragliding Online Congress between the 22nd and the 27th August in Brazil.
The purpose of the Congress is to develop and disseminate paragliding in Brazil.
We expect to have 3 online events during 6 days in a row, representing up to 18 online presentations. It’s going to be a 100% free event.
For more information and registration see here.
- Advance Coastal Clinic, Timbis, Bali, Indonesia, 25 August-3 September 2016 with the collaboration of Temple Pilots Paragliding School.
The Course will include the following:
1. Cliff Launching Techniques
2. Coastal Soaring Techniques
3. Top Landing Skill Development
4. Ground Handling & Kiting Skill Development
5. Safe Flying under Supervision
6. Briefing & Debriefing Sessions
Please write to Sachin or Temple pilots school for costs and details.
- XC seminar with Asterios Makrovasilis and Simon Kirsch at mountain olympus, Greece, 27 August-3 September 2016, with the collaboration of the school Olympic Wings.
- APPI Pro-workshop in Mexico, with APPI masters Edgar Paul Soria Cordones and Marko Hrgetic, October 24th to November 2nd, 2016, Valle de Bravo.
Workshop of trainiing, evaluation and validation of paragliding tandem pilots and instructors.
For more information and registration, contact APPI@paraglidingmexico.com.
If you organize or know of any paragliding and paramotor festival or meeting, give us this info to share with the APPI community.